Join Our Team
Position: Youth Development Staff
25 – 30 hours/week; $15 – $18 per hour based on experience
Reports to Director of Programs and Administration/Site Coordinator
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to Alyssa Carr, Area Director, (alyssa.carr@BGCNewHaven.org)
Assists in the implementation of programs and supervision of youth members in Boys & Girls Club After-school program. Provides effective guidance and mentorship to positively impact the lives of youth in the areas of Character and Leadership Development; Education; Healthy Behaviors and Life Skills; Arts and Culture; Technology; and Fitness & Recreation.
• Provide direct supervision of youth ages 6-14 with their remote learning and promoting safety of members in programs at all times.
• Serve as program mentors, providing group supervision, guidance and role modeling to youth members.
• Effectively implement and administer instructional, competitive and cooperative learning activities.
• Establish positive relationships with Club members and their parents or guardians.
• Display a high level of enthusiasm, energy and commitment.
• Sustain interest in all Boys & Girls Club activities and ensure they are enticing, exciting, entertaining and that they keep children engaged.
• Follow BGCNH policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures
• Supervise the care and maintenance of department equipment.
• Ensure the daily cleanliness and safety of the site. Ensures that safety hazards are corrected.
• Participates in ongoing professional development and other specified training.
• Represent the Boys & Girls Club in a respectable and professional manner.
- Associates Degree in Education, Human Services, Early Childhood or related youth development field is preferred, but will consider a combination or education and experience.
- Two years’ experience in a youth development program, preferred.
- Understanding of the BGCNH philosophy, vision and goals
- Experience working with at-risk youth
- Ability to implement quality programs for youth.
- Ability to motivate youth, provide positive re-direction and manage emotional/behavioral issues.
- Bilingual, a plus.
- Two forms of valid identification required.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
This position requires the ability to attend to emergency situations with children and staff. Must have the ability and stamina to move throughout the facility and outdoor spaces, lift boxes and move equipment from one room to another within the facility.
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience