Connecting for great futures
The Boys & Girls Club New Haven offers teen activities in the arts, sports, digital technology and community services while promoting personal development.
Teens activities include:
- Teen Drop-in Club. We open our doors specifically for teens ages 13-18 on Wednesdays from 6-9 p.m. Activities include sports, use of our computer lab, and collaborative workshops that address important issues that teens face in our communities. All teens are welcome to join us so bring a friend and stop on by!
- Civic Leadership..Our Keystone Club promotes community service and other values of productive citizenship. Keystone members elect officers, choose their own activities and plan and implement community service projects.
- Work Opportunities. Teens can also apply to become Junior Staff at our Club. This program helps Club members earn money while exploring a career in youth or human services. Young people prepare for future roles as human services professionals by participating in career development activities, discovering the importance of community service, and building customer service skills.
- Sport Leagues. We currently offer the opportunity to participate in our in-house sports leagues. BGCNH also supports AAU basketball teams for many age groups. Our teams are teams are frequent national contenders.
- Entrepreneurship through the Performing Arts (New October 2014). Through the use of digital equipment, singing, spoken word, and musical instruments, creative personal expression will be developed, helping each teen club member to build self-confidence and collaborative skills as well as improve work habits. Members work toward a quarterly open mic event that allows them to debut new and upcoming artist who have a positive message to share with their community while generating money to sustain their program.
- Youth of the Year is the Boys & Girls Club of America’s premier recognition program for Club members, promoting service to Club, community and family; academic success; strong moral character; life goals; and poise and public speaking ability. At the Boys & Girls Club of New Haven, the program is a year-round tool for fostering young people’s character, personal growth and leadership qualities. Our Club’s youth of the year participates in state competitions. State winners each receive a $1,000 scholarship and participate in regional competitions. Five regional winners each receive a $10,000 scholarship and compete on the national level. The National Youth of the Year receives up to an additional $50,000 scholarship and is installed by the President of the United States.