The Boys & Girls Club of New Haven is a member organization of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America and is one of the largest youth-serving organizations in New Haven, reaching over 1000 children and teens each year.
The New Haven Boys Club was founded in 1871 by Mrs. Eli Whitney in her home across the street from the Green. In 1872, Mrs. Whitney Blake named her Club the “United Workers” and to this day the Club maintains that title as its legal name. In 1891, the Club moved to a new location at 200 Orange Street which is now the Hall of Records. The Club remained at this location until it moved into a newly constructed facility in 1915 on Jefferson Street.
In 1970, the Club started the first Blockwatch Program in New Haven, and after operating for five years, New Haven Police Department personnel were trained by Club staff to take over the program.
In 1989, the Club moved into a new, smaller 18,000 square foot clubhouse in the heart of the Hill neighborhood at 253 Columbus Avenue, where it stands today.
The New Haven Boys Club was the first Club in the Nation to admit girls. In 1990, the Club officially changed its name to “Boys & Girls Club”.
In 2010, the Club opened a satellite site in the Eastview Housing Development in the Fair Haven Heights neighborhood in partnership with the Housing Authority of New Haven.
In 2013, due to the success of the Eastview Site the Housing Authority of New Haven partnered up with the Club to open a second satellite site in the Westrock Housing Development in the Westville neighborhood.
In 2014, the Club opened it’s first school-based satellite site at Lincoln-Bassett Community School in the Newhallville neighborhood in Partnership with the Department of Education.